In my 30-year career of helping develop female talent, I have found that their managers are most often the key influencers of success for the women who work for them.
You are the perfect driving force for diversity. Yes, of course, you need support and motivation from top management. Yes, of course, you need a corporate culture that encourages and promotes diversity. But even when those situations aren’t perfect, you can make a difference. You are the one in the trenches...able to spot the talent, regardless of race, creed or gender.
If you are committed to diversity, you can make it happen, grow and spread. That’s why we at WOMEN Unlimited put this Playbook together for you. We know your talents. We know your power.
More and more the research and the results are showing that to shortchange female talent is to shortchange long term growth and profitability. The evidence continues to mount: in today’s global economy, diversity is both the right thing to do and the smart thing to do.
We hope you’ll find this Playbook helpful and that it, along with the additional resources we’ve provided, will help you keep the diversity momentum going.
Read this book for insights and perspectives of 7 executives from leading corporations on their experiences in managing high-potential women.
However, as Linda Austin convincingly demonstrates in What's Holding You Back?, it's nowhere near as career and life defining as the barrier women have unconsciously erected in their own minds. Buy this Book
In seven chapters, the two consultants for the Gallup Organization debunk some dearly held notions about management, such as "treat people as you like to be treated"; "people are capable of almost anything"; and "a manager's role is diminishing in today's economy."
"Great managers are revolutionaries," the authors write. "This book will take you inside the minds of these managers to explain why they have toppled conventional wisdom and reveal the new truths they have forged in its place." Buy this Book
And the path to success begins with this single most important rule: Every time a woman succeeds in business, every other woman's chance of succeeding in business increases. Every time a woman fails in business, every other woman's chance of failure increases.
Whether you're a top executive or an entry-level assistant, She Wins, You Win will give you the tactics and strategies (and a few controversial ideas along the way) you need to attain your career goals. Buy this Book
To her, the future looks bright for women in corporations: she notes they earn more than one third of all MBAs and more than 42 percent of law degrees. Women also hold close to half of all managerial and professional jobs. Sure, about 30 percent of those women leave corporate life, but the other 70 percent keep on going. It's for them Gallagher has written this guidebook. Buy this Book
In Changing the Corporate Landscape, Jean draws from her corporate and gardening experiences, as well as those of executive women and men at such diverse Fortune 500 companies as American Express, Bank of America, IBM, Microsoft, Pfizer, Prudential, and Raytheon.
Through personal reflections, practical advice, and humorous anecdotes, Changing the Corporate Landscape champions women who are developing their own leadership skills and facilitating the development of others. It explores compelling issues faced by women in every industry of business.
Written to help women succeed in business, Changing the Corporate Landscape is also a useful tool for men who are responsible for developing women in the workplace. Buy this Book
These rules have been identified as critical for personal success, as well as an organization's success. Women who have participated in WUI programs, managers who have supported participants, LEAD Mentors, and senior leaders have contributed their inspiring stories and experiences, confirming the value of participation in WUI programs. By developing their diverse talent pipeline, these organizations view WUI programs as a critical business strategy to advance their organizations. Buy this Book
Starting with recent developments in brain sex research and moving through social stereotypes, Lichtenberg takes a fresh look at how women relate to work and shows them how to use their gifts to get what they want. The book includes easy-to-use tools, tips on managing communication styles, and exercises that have been honed in Lichtenberg's many workshops. Buy this Book